We have a few Holiday Family Traditions:
1. I make a special "spoken recipe" candy with my Nana.
2. We watch A Christmas Story all togeather as a family.
3. We eat See's candy when Christmas shopping.
4. My Mom makes popovers Christmas morning.
5. My Brother gives my Dad a sailing calender at Christmas.
6. My Dad gives us these gnarly cold weather jackets every year with the receipt in the pocket. We can keep it or return it for something else.
7. We have "flaming pie" with hard sauce.
It is really called something else but I have always known it as flaming pie. It is essentially a soft fruit cake that you pour brandy and scotch over, light and spoon the flames over the pie until they go out. It makes the pie really warm and....well....yummy. Then you pour hard sauce(brandy, cream and sugar) over it and eat it. It is an intense desert that you don't drive home after eating.
I opted for my Mom's super rad apple pie but I always love seeing the beautiful blue "flaming pie". That to me is the mark of another Christmas complete. I hope I never have a Christmas with out it.
What kind of family traditions do you have that you hold close to your heart?